Strategy and execution
- Business and strategic planning
- Opportunity assessment and design of new initiatives
- Evaluation and course corrections for existing initiatives
- Strategies for growth and increasing impact
- Ongoing implementation support
- Navigating change: organizational turning points, leadership transitions, and external change
- Assessing organizational capacity and increasing alignment with mission and strategy
- CEO coaching and board development
Convening and learning
- Design and facilitation of key retreats and meetings
- Business case development and teaching
Our work with operating nonprofits and other social enterprises often focuses on strategy for the whole organization, a major line of business, or a front-burner project or issue. Often our clients’ challenges include the complex dynamics of multi-site organizations, affiliate networks, or associations of organizations.
Foundations typically engage us to work with them on a major funding initiative or program area. This can take the form of planning a new line of work, conducting an assessment and recommending changes for a continuing one, or ongoing collaboration with foundation staff as a strategic adviser or ‘virtual team-member.’
In addition to the challenges faced by all foundations, individual and family philanthropists often seek help with sharpening their philanthropic focus, building family consensus, increasing capacity without increasing bureaucracy, and navigating foundation ‘life-stages’ as their philanthropy grows and matures.
Finally, our experience consulting with foundations and operating nonprofits has led us to take on funder-grantee initiatives and other projects that require understanding the perspective of both. We also welcome as clients cross-sector partnerships that include business or governmental entities as well as nonprofits.